Vacancies at Althams
Assistant Factory Manager
We are seeking a talented Assistant Factory Manager to act as no 2 to the Factory Manager and support in managing all aspects of the factory so that the dual objectives of excellent customer service and a high level of efficiency and cost effectiveness are simultaneously achieved. The Assistant Factory Manager will be a proactive and constructive member of the Factory Management team and will support the maintenance and development of the company’s reputation as an excellent butcher and a great place to work.
• To proactively communicate the company’s vision, strategy and values and to ensure that all employees within the factory understand how their individual efforts contribute to the achievement of overall company objectives.
• To ensure that resources are managed so that the planned customer service levels are consistently achieved.
• To set housekeeping and health and safety standards for the factory and ensure they are met.
• To monitor and manages all aspects of performance within the factory, including food safety, raw material yields, the quality of the product, the quantities produced and the performance and behaviour of staff.
• All categories of stock, including WIP, are proactively managed so that the minimum level of stock is carried which is commensurate with the achievement of the pre-agreed levels of customer service.
• To proactively manage the management structure, staff, skills and systems within the factory in order to maximise operational performance.
• To seek continuous improvement in the operations of the factory, ensuring that best practice is understood and implemented.
• To ensure that quality control is managed through the departmental teams.
• To ensure that all legal and audit requirements, including health & safety, are met.
The key ingredients
This is a key leadership role within the factory management team. To be successful in this role you will need to have previous experience of a similar role within a food manufacturing environment (ideally meat or poultry), demonstrate strong people management skills with the ability to motivate and engage teams, knowledge of HACCAP and health and safety regulations, possess financial and commercial awareness, the ability to influence at all levels within a Company and be comfortable with driving results in a fast paced manufacturing environment.
Order Picker/Dispatch Operative (Skilled)
To ensure the correct procedures of manual handling and packing of meat at all times.
• To inform the Packing Room Team leader of any products which are not in stock so the necessary actions can be taken.
• To ensure that the correct quality and standard of meat as specified on the customer order is adhered to at all times.
• To ensure all meat is labelled correctly and placed with care and consideration to other products which are placed into trays/boxes/bags etc.
• To take care when strapping and labelling boxes and make sure all boxes are placed with the customer case sticker pointing to the outside of the pallet when stored.
• To ensure there is no deterioration of products and prepared stock.
• At the close of business ensuring all stock and products are stored correctly, according to date, in the appropriate fridge or freezer.
• To ensure that all vans are loaded efficiently and accurately and promptly according to the start time of each individual Driver.
• At the end of each shift place all dirty protective clothing into the dedicated bins and all aprons and wellies are clean and stored in the correct area.
• At all times to be suitably dressed and wear all the protective clothing and equipment correctly as supplied by the Company, and to be responsible for these items.
• Ensuring cleanliness of the packing area and abide by all Health and Hygiene and Health and Safety procedures as laid out by the Company at all times.
• If and when necessary work across other departments when required.
The key ingredients
We have a great team environment at Althams Butchers, we recruit individuals who are passionate about our products and care that customers receive excellent service. To be successful in this role you will need a good understanding of health and hygiene regulations, be able to organise tasks and work efficiently and communicate well within a team.
This role would suit someone who has operated as a Packer/Order Despatch within a fast paced environment. Fork lift truck licence would beneficial but not essential. In return we offer a competitive rate of pay.
The hours will be 7pm until 5.30am (38 hours per week) over 4 nights worked between Monday to Friday. Sunday night hours will be 6pm until 4.30 am which is worked on a three week rotational shift pattern.
Class C Driver (Casual Contract)
We are seeking an experienced Class C Driver with full CPC to delivery products from our Head office in Morecambe to sites across the UK.
- To deliver products and carry out collections on the return journey to deadlines
- To drive safely and courteously representing the Althams brand at all times
- To carry out basic manual handling techniques
- To drive in line legal requirements
- Provide great customer service skills
The key ingredients
We are looking for a Class C Driver who has previous experience, is physically fit, efficient and can demonstrate a positive attitude.
This role would be working on a casual contract, therefore would suit someone who is interested in part time hour
We are currently going to be recruiting for a number of apprentice roles across the factory to support with growing our team internally. The Apprentice opportunities will be in Food Manufacturing (factory operations) and Butchery. Your development will be fully supported through our training Academy by being on a recognised training course for the area of work your in. Opportunities within the factory will be available on our day shift 7am until 4pm (40 hours per week) and nights (for over 18's only). If you interested in finding out more details, please contact Human Resources at our head office or submit your CV below.
Only those applicants who have a legal right to work within the UK.
To apply please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the job title.
Food Operative - High Care (Altham Fine Foods)
Althams Fine Foods specialise in providing high quality ready meals for supermarkets and foodservice. We operate a state of the art factory in Morecambe, Lancashire. This is fantastic opportunity to develop your career and experience the excitement of a high growth company.
We are looking for a Operative within our high care department.
Reporting into the Team Leader, you will produce excellent quality ready meals to meet customer requirements.
- To prepare ready made meals to customer specifications
- Prioritise tasks in order to meet customer deadlines
- Handling of food products therefore the necessary food hygiene standards must be adhered to at all time
- To wear the necessary PPE
- Ensure equipment is kept clean and tidy
- To be an active team player, willing to support others when required to assist with customer deadlines being met
The key ingredients
This role would ideally suit someone who has worked within food manufacturing (ideally meat production), and can work effectively in a team and wishes to join an expanding company. This role is 40 hours per week, Monday to Friday on a shift pattern.
Catering Chef (Altham Fine Foods)
Althams Fine Foods specialise in providing quality ready meals for supermarkets. We operate a state of the art facility in Morecambe, Lancashire. Due to our continued growth we are seeking a full time sous chef to be responsible for the daily cooking of our meals.
This role isn’t a typical Chef role, it requires someone of Chef calibre who is able to work in a manufacturing or large scale catering environment.
Responsibilities will include:
- Daily cooking of meals for production
- Ensure correct measures and recipes are followed at all time
- Development of new products
- Monitor and management of wastage to ensure effective cost control
- Follow processes and procedures in line with HACCAP
- Operate and sanitize all equipment in a safe and proper manner in line with protocol
- Effective planning and organisation of work to ensure food is produced within timescales
- Working within the team to ensure high quality standards of food production
At Althams Fine Foods producing quality products is important to us therefore we need individuals who are passionate about food, who have a ‘can do’ attitude and can work effectively in a team environment.If you want to join a great team, you have previously worked as a Chef then this could be the role for you. The hours will be a minimum of 40 hours per week, based on a rota system. Basic food hygiene certificate and HACCAP awareness required.
This role would suit candidates who have either an ex-military, manufacturing or large scale catering background within a similar role at Chef level.
Dispatch Operative (Altham Fine Foods)
Althams Fine Foods specialise in providing high quality ready meals for supermarkets and foodservice. We operate a state of the art factory in Morecambe, Lancashire. This is fantastic opportunity to develop your career in the excitement of a high growth award winning food production company.
We are seeking a Packer/Order Despatch Operative for our plant in Morecambe.
Key responsibilities will include:
- To ensure the correct procedures of manual handling and packing of products at all times.
- To inform the Team Leader of any issues regarding stock
- To ensure that the correct quality and standard of products
- To ensure products are labelled correctly and placed with care and consideration
- To ensure there is no deterioration of products and prepared stock
- Ensure stock and products are stored correctly
- To ensure that all despatch vehicles are loaded efficiently and accurately
- At all times to be suitably dressed and wear all the protective clothing and equipment correctly as supplied by the Company, and to be responsible for these items.
- Ensuring cleanliness of the despatch area and abide by all Health and Hygiene and Health and Safety procedures as laid out by the Company at all times.
- If and when necessary work across other departments when required.
We have a great team environment at Althams Fine Foods, we recruit individuals who are passionate about our products and care that customers receive excellent service. To be successful in this role you will need a good understanding of health and hygiene regulations, be able to organise tasks and work efficiently and communicate well within a team.
This role would ideally suit someone who has operated as a Packer/Order Despatch within a fast paced environment (but not essential) as training will be given.
Fork lift truck licence would beneficial but not essential.
The hours will be 8am until 8pm worked over 4 shifts per week on a rota.
Technical Manager (Altham Fine Foods)
Althams Fine Foods specialise in providing high quality ready meals for supermarkets and foodservice. We operate a state of the art factory in Morecambe, Lancashire. This is fantastic opportunity to develop your career in quality and experience the excitement of a high growth company.
You will manage all aspects of quality assurance within Altham Fine Foods so that the best possible procedures are in place which will allow top quality, safe and legal products to be produced at all times. You will manage customer complaints so that not only are solutions found quickly for the customer but also preventative measures put in place to prevent any future recurrence. You will be a proactive and constructive member of the Althams Fine Foods Management Team.
o Process owner for all company procedures and ensures that these are up to date and fit for purpose at all times.
o All company procedures are meticulously documented, monitored, reviewed and revised as necessary.
o Manages and maintains all aspects of the quality management system, including internal and external audits.
o Ensures the results of all audits are acted upon and liaises appropriately with the managers responsible in this respect.
o Ensures that all company marks and accreditations are successfully retained on an annual basis.
o Supplier audits, including the verification accreditations, are religiously carried out in accordance with the pre-determined timetable and company procedure.
o All complaints are reviewed and both corrective and preventative actions agreed and implemented which will not only solve the initial problem but also prevent it from happening again in the future.
o The status of all corrective and preventative actions is communicated to the Operations Director on a monthly basis.
o Liaises proactively with suppliers and customers on technical issues.
o Technical inductions are carried out for new employees and those needing refresher training.
o Manages all aspects of food safety and testing in a thorough, diligent and professional manner.
o Technical input to new product development and product changes.
o Assists the Factory Manager in the professional and effective identification and management of hazards and critical control points.
o Ensures that complete, accurate and thorough records are kept of all company processes affecting the quality of the product so that full traceability is achieved.
o Keeps up to date and networks with other industry professionals so as to keep abreast of best practice in quality management.
o Monitors and reports on all aspects of quality performance within the factory.
o Works closely with the Factory and Technical Managers to ensure that all factory procedures are fit for purpose and are respected and adhered to by all members of staff.
o Contributes to the generation of new ideas to improve performance within the factory and communicates these proactively to the Factory Manager.
o Communicates proactively with the members of the Management Team, ensuring that they are kept abreast of all relevant issues at all times.
The key ingredients
This role would ideally suit someone who has quality assurance experience within food manufacturing high care or high risk sector. A food safety Level 3 and Haccap Level 3 qualification are a minimum requirement. A food science or related degree, HND/HNC or equivalent would be desirable.
This is a fantastic role to join a growing business within a role which includes a high level of influence and autonomy. We have a great team at Althams Fine Foods and want people to join us who are role models for our values and passionate about our products. The ideal candidate will have a great personality to communicate at all levels, be highly organised and interested in personal development in order to stay current in QA.
The hours will be 7:30am until 4:30pm (40 hours per week) worked Monday to Friday.
Protecting your data
Please note that any personal details submitted for roles are retained by the company for a period of 12 months unless you have been offered a position and employed in which case they will be retained indefinitely (this includes applicants via recruitment agencies). Personal details will not be passed onto a 3rd party.